Date: Sat 31st August 2019   KO: 3.00pm  

Venue: Hill Park, Coombe Vale, Brighton. BN2 8HJ

Competition: Buildbase FA Vase 1st Round Qualifying

HT: 0-0  FT: 0-2                 

Attendance: 46

Lordswood badge final-01-1.png


1. Max Ovenden

2. Alexander Brefo

3. Michael Kuku  YC74

4. Marlon Patterson  Sub 46

5. Jai McKinlay  Goal 62

6. Rob Gillman

7. Jordan Samuel

8. Nicky Greene  YC37  Sub 82

9. Daniel Pepple  Sub 56

10. Klaudio Krasniqi

11. Tyler Anderson-Parr  Goal 65

12. Emmanuel Maja  Sub 46

14. Shaike Kamara  Sub 82

15. Juljano Marku

16. Luke Medley  Sub 56


Lordswood returned to winning ways with a comfortable victory to progress into the 2nd Round Qualifying of the Buildbase FA Vase.

Boss Darren Anslow was forced into making two changes to the side that lost to Hollands & Blair last Saturday. With Rilwan Anibaba still suspended, Max Ovenden stepped into the goalkeeper role having joined from Cray Valley in the week.  Meanwhile a debut was handed to ex-Bromley player Nicky Greene who started in midfield in place of the absent Jamie Taylor. Emmanuel Maja was named as a substitute after also joining the Lords during the week.

There was a strong gusting wind blowing from one end of the pitch to the other at Saltdean's Hill Place ground and it seemed to have a positive effect for the side playing with it on their backs.  Lordswood played into the wind in the first half and struggled to really get any foothold in the game.  The first 15 minutes of the game were pretty non-eventful, although Alex Laing playing upfront for Saltdean was starting to make some meaningful runs behind the Lordswood defence  Lordswood were getting a lot of joy down the right wing via Jordan Samuel's pace but either the final ball was lacking or having someone attacking the delivery was lacking.

Ovenden proved his worth to the side pulling off an excellent save to tip over Laing's long range effort and then Samuel wasted a good opportunity after the ball dropped to him just outside the area following Saltdean keeper Tyler D'Cruz's attempt to head the ball clear. With the keeper in no mans land, Samuel's attempted lob could only drop wide of the post.

Alexander Brefo then rose highest to meet a Marlon Patterson corner but his glanced effort was cleared away by a defender on the post.

Ross Smith found himself well placed to fire a shot at Ovenden but his effort was weak and comfortably gathered by the Lordswood keeper.  Daniel Pepple similarly found himself in a good position to shoot following good work on the left by Samuel but again his shot lacked conviction and was easily smothered by D'Cruz.

Greene and Saltdean's James Waters were then both issued yellow cards following a handbags moment in the centre circle. Samuel then tried his luck from 20 yards but his effort bobbled harmlessly wide of the post.

Before the whistle went for half-time, Saltdean thought they had opened the scoring but an offside flag was raised as Laing powered home a diving header from a good cross from the left.

Emmanuel Maja was brought on at half-time for Patterson who was suffering with a knock on his calf, and Lordswood started the 2nd half brightly. Michael Kuku delivered an excellent cross in from the left which as fumbled by D'Cruz. Tyler Anderson-Parr recycled the ball out of the area to Samuel but his effort from 18 yards went over the bar.

Samuel then had a header well saved by D'Cruz following a spot of head tennis by the Saltdean defence that was unable to clear its lines. Luke Medley was introduced for Daniel Pepple and he was quickly in the action having a shot deflected wide for a corner.

With 62 minutes on the clock, Lordswood took the lead that their pressure deserved.  Kuku's corner from the right was returned back to him by Klaudio Krasniqi. Kuku passed the ball to Medley who played a superb one-two with Krasniqi before firing a shot in that was beaten away by D'Cruz. Krasiniqi picked up the loose ball and burst through to the byeline before cutting the ball back to Jai McKinlay whose effort hit D'Cruz's legs but it wasn't enough to stop the ball as it spun into the net.

Just three minutes later and Lordswood doubled their lead. Once again Medley was involved as he ran down the left wing before firing in an excellent low cross which fizzed across the 6 yard box for Tyler Anderson-Parr to latch onto and fire past D'Cruz.

Saltdean appeared to start losing their composure on the pitch and Laing was substituted following a bizarre argument with his own manager. On 72 minutes they were reduced to 10 menafter Jamie Craddock was sent off for two yellow card offences in relatively quick succession.

Ross Smith was fortunate not to receive a card following a rash tackle on Kuku, even more bizarre considering Kuku had received a yellow card minutes earlier for something much tamer.

Lordswood were now able to comfortably see the game out and on 90 minutes Medley crashed a shot against the post from 8 yards after being fed by Krasniqi. Samuel then had one final chance to extend the lead but his effort from the edge of the area went just past the post.

Lordswood will now face fellow SCEFL Premier Division side Sheppey United in the next round on Saturday 14th September at Martyn Grove.